Servant of Wife
At 22 years old I was married in the Salt Lake temple to my best friend. Since then, the last two and a half years have been incredible. My wife is an artist and a cosmetologist. Luckily for me, I will always have perfect hair. I was only halfway joking when I titled this section servant of wife. I am very grateful for my wife because she knows how to humble me. We serve each other to strengthen our marriage and make every day meaningful. I am lucky to be able to serve a woman as righteous, kind, and loving as she is.
Follower of Christ
I desire to live my life patterned after Jesus Christ. I see him as a perfect example of how to be happy in this life. He is loving, forgiving, compassionate, kind, thoughtful of the forgotten, and always extends a hand to those in need. The common aspect in all of these characteristics is the ability to look outward instead of inwards. I find my life enriched and more meaningful when I too look outwards. Every week I serve my God by volunteering as a youth leader, temple ordinance worker, and Sunday school teacher.
Lover of Science
I am a scientist at heart and understanding how this universe works is my quest. Ask me any question about a science topic and I will tell you what I know. If I don’t know much, I will be just as excited to take a google crash course into the primary literature on that topic and share with you everything I discover. I studied biochemistry at BYU and just recently got accepted into medical school in Kansas City. As a scientist, I am most intrigued by the body. My pursuit in becoming a doctor will allow me to continue a life full of learning and sharing.
Trumpeter of Bands
For the past 13 years, I have been inseparable from my trumpet. Making music is something that defines who I am because it allows me to express my emotions. In my high school years, I competed competitively at the state level and won several awards. I have continued playing my trumpet at BYU. During my undergraduate degree, I played in the wind ensemble, symphony orchestra, ROC band, and marching band. Wherever life takes me, I plan on sharing my love for music by playing my trumpet in the communities I live in.
Thank you for sharing your testimony! My relationship with a Christ is a big part of my life, so I appreciate that you brought the Gospel into your epithets! I am impressed that you continued to play the trumpet throughout your time at BYU. I'm sure with premed classes you didn't have a lot of free time! I've played the flute since I was 9, but since being here at BYU I've stopped practicing regularly.
ReplyDeleteHey Cody! Very nice to meet you! Your wife sounds awesome and you are very lucky. I will have to take your offer and ask you a science question sometimes because science is so interesting and I'm sure that you know a lot. And its great that you want to share your music with the world! The world needs more good.
ReplyDeleteIt is inspiring how you were able to manage juggling living a pre-med life at BYU and also being married and also being so involved in the marching band! That takes a lot of prioritizing! I now have no excuse about "not having enough time" to do certain things!
ReplyDeleteHey Cody, I like how you clarified the servant of wife post, it's good when there is mutual service in the relationship. I wanted to know how you got started playing the trumpet? It is an interesting choice and I'm sure it comes with a story.
ReplyDelete"Google crash course" is my new favorite phrase! I started as a physics-astronomy major, so I understand your love for science! SciShow is one of my favorite sources of random science knowledge, and I've had so much fun catching up on them after my mission! But congratulations on getting into medical school!
ReplyDeleteCody,
ReplyDelete"Servant of Wife" haha I love it. sounds like you know how to stay married! It is great to see that you are so happy and your wife sounds great! Science is awesome and I've always been interested but not enough to find stuff out for myself so I'm glad we have people like you who have a passion for it. Here's to hoping you do great things!
-Jared
Congrats on getting into med school! I will be applying to medical schools this summer. Naturally, I love science as well. I was a bass clarinet player in high school, and I got pretty good, but I never continued into college like you did. I think I should have, and not just because it would look good on an application. I think it really would have enriched my life. I love your description of Christ—very thoughtful and moving.
ReplyDelete